LTA Coaching Qualifications Pathway
As a tennis or padel coach, every day is a new challenge, from young children picking up a racket for the first time through to developing players to an elite standard to compete internationally.
If you’d like to take that first step on your tennis or padel coaching journey, the qualification pathway can guide you through a coaching career, beginning at Assistant level all the way to Master Coach.
No matter which Coach Development Centre you undertake your qualification core training with, assessments are booked separately and centrally with the LTA. Assessments are now more accessible and relevant, as they are done in real life coaching sessions in coaches’ own venues, with videos submitted for assessment on LTA Learn.
This enhanced two-day qualification is ideal for tennis parents, enthusiasts, or keen players looking for the knowledge and skills to support group coaching sessions, alongside a lead Coach.
Learning outcomes include:
- Communication, organisation and differentiation skills for group coaching
- Basic tactical, technical, physical and mental development frameworks
- Other key assistant skills; from safeguarding to LTA Youth delivery
This enhanced five-day qualification (split into core and elective days), is ideal for those looking to build on the coaching foundations of LTA Assistant/Level 1, enabling you to lead in the delivery of group coaching.
Learning outcomes include:
- Develop more advanced skills in communication and organisation
- Have introductory knowledge of ‘observation and analysis’ of players
- Be able to provide general coaching advice across physical, mental, tactical, and technical domains
- Plan and deliver structured lessons from official LTA Adult and Junior coaching products e.g., Cardio Tennis, Tennis Xpress, LTA Youth
- Understand basic principles of skill acquisition, safeguarding and player development
The level 3 coach qualification course is for people who want to work full time within the tennis coaching profession. On successful completion of the coach qualification candidates will be trained to:
- Coach beginners and improvers in groups and as individuals.
- Understand the basics of business management
- Manage the work of level 1 and 2 coaching assistants.
The LTA Senior Coach and Senior Performance Coach (SPC) qualifications (Level 4) are for coaches committed to developing their on and off court coaching skills beyond Level 3 Coach competencies.
The master club coach qualification is for coaches who are or who aspire to work at the very highest level of club coaching.
On completion of the course, a master club coach will be trained to:
- Deliver on court sessions of the highest quality to all club members.
- Design, implement and evaluate the process and outcome of club programmes.
- Display leadership skills to create and manage change in dynamic club environments.
- Mentor a team of coaches to ensure delivery of a quality programme.
Readiness Tests enable coaches, without the requisite rating, to be assessed against the relevant entry criteria for a specific coaching qualification.
This two day qualification course provides the safety and training, practice and good standards necessary for the on-court tuition of padel in the UK.
If you hold a LTA qualification prior to 2006, find out what it equates to now and the steps you can take to upgrade.
Coaches with non LTA qualifications are now able to check their qualification against an ITF comparison to coach in the UK and access the LTA coach accreditation scheme.
LTA tutors inspire and train the next generation of tennis coaches. On successful completion of the CTQ, you’ll be:
- Educated in the principles of andragogy
- Trained to deliver presentations with confidence
- Adept at creating great learning environments
- Added to the LTA’s Approved Tutor List
- Able to deliver the LTA Assistant, Instructor, and Coach qualifications (L1, L2, L3)
We are committed to inclusion and having a diverse workforce, allowing anybody to take their first steps on the LTA's Coaching Qualifications Pathway. To help us achieve this, we have a range of support, opportunities and targeted grant initiatives in place.