LTA Coaching Qualifications Pathway
As a tennis or padel coach, every day is a new challenge, from young children picking up a racket for the first time through to developing players to an elite standard to compete internationally.
If you’d like to take that first step on your tennis or padel coaching journey, the qualification pathway can guide you through a coaching career, beginning at Assistant level all the way to Master Coach.
Coach Development Centres (CDCs) deliver coaching qualifications and continued professional development (CPD) to coaches in a learning orientated environment.
No matter which Coach Development Centre you undertake your qualification core training with, assessments are booked separately and centrally with the LTA. Assessments are now more accessible and relevant, as they are done in real life coaching sessions in coaches’ own venues, with videos submitted for assessment on LTA Learn.
Readiness Tests enable coaches, without the requisite rating, to be assessed against the relevant entry criteria for a specific coaching qualification.
We are committed to inclusion and having a diverse workforce, allowing anybody to take their first steps on the LTA's Coaching Qualifications Pathway. To help us achieve this, we have a range of support, opportunities and targeted grant initiatives in place.
This enhanced two-day qualification is ideal for tennis parents, enthusiasts, or keen players looking for the knowledge and skills to support group coaching sessions, alongside a lead Coach.
Learning outcomes include:
- Communication, organisation and differentiation skills for group coaching
- Basic tactical, technical, physical and mental development frameworks
- Other key assistant skills; from safeguarding to LTA Youth delivery
For further information on the LTA Assistant qualification, click below:
This enhanced five-day qualification (split into core and elective days), is ideal for those looking to build on the coaching foundations of LTA Assistant/Level 1, enabling you to lead in the delivery of group coaching.
Learning outcomes include:
- Develop more advanced skills in communication and organisation
- Have introductory knowledge of ‘observation and analysis’ of players
- Be able to provide general coaching advice across physical, mental, tactical, and technical domains
- Plan and deliver structured lessons from official LTA Adult and Junior coaching products e.g., Cardio Tennis, Tennis Xpress, LTA Youth
- Understand basic principles of skill acquisition, safeguarding and player development
For further information on the LTA Tennis Instructor qualification, click below:
This five-day qualification (split into core and elective days), is ideal for those looking to deliver excellent group lessons for adult and junior players.
For further information on the LTA Padel Instructor qualification, click below:
The brand-new LTA Tennis Coach Qualification is an 11-day qualification, comprised of nine days’ Core Training and two Electives (from a choice of three).
If you want to make the move towards a career in tennis coaching, add coaching individuals to your repertoire, or just upgrade your coaching to the next level, this course is for you.
For further information on the Coach qualification, click below:
The LTA Senior Coach and Senior Performance Coach (SPC) qualifications (Level 4) are for coaches committed to developing their on and off court coaching skills beyond Level 3 Coach competencies.
For further information on the Senior Coach & Senior Performance Coach qualification, click below:
The Master Club Coach qualification is for coaches who are or who aspire to work at the very highest level of club coaching.
On completion of the course, a master club coach will be trained to:
- Deliver on court sessions of the highest quality to all club members
- Design, implement and evaluate the process and outcome of club programmes
- Display leadership skills to create and manage change in dynamic club environments
- Mentor a team of coaches to ensure delivery of a quality programme
For further information on the Master Club Coach qualification, click below:
The Performance Coaching Pro Course has been built around the challenges and demands coaches experience within the International Junior, Pro Transition and Pro stages of the pathway. In each of these stages, the central figure is the player, and this course acknowledges the importance of the coach's role in supporting the player to move through these transitions.
For further information on the Performance Coaching Pro Course, click below:
The Performance Coach Education and Development Team will be launching an additional Level 5 course focused on coaching at the 14U and 10U stages of the pathway in Spring 2023.
You can find more details about the course below:
LTA tutors inspire and train the next generation of padel and tennis coaches. On successful completion of the CTQ, you’ll be:
- Educated in the principles of andragogy
- Trained to deliver presentations with confidence
- Adept at creating great learning environments
- Added to the LTA’s Approved Tutor List
- Able to deliver the LTA Assistant, Instructor, and Coach qualifications (L1, L2, L3)
If you hold a LTA qualification prior to 2021, find out what it equates to now and the steps you can take to upgrade.
Coaches with non LTA qualifications are now able to check their qualification against an ITF comparison to coach in the UK and access the LTA coach accreditation scheme.