What is LTA Youth Matchplay?
Matchplay is often a child’s first experience of individual competitive tennis. In two- or three-hour sessions they compete in both singles and doubles matches against players of a similar ability.
- Quick competitions for kids aged 10 and under, split into different age groups.
- Games last two hours for 8U and 9U and three hours for 10U and yellow ball age groups.
- The 10U and yellow ball age groups will be using one FAST4 set (see below) whilst 8U and 9U will use one match tie-break to 10 points.
- The organiser will give a friendly welcome, take the kids through an energetic warm up and explain the rules.
- There’ll be lots of quick matches against players of a similar ability.
- While they aren’t playing in matches will keep score and be ball kids. No hanging around here!
- Players will always compete in singles and doubles matches – this develops both their tennis and social skills.
FAST4 speeds up the conventional game of tennis. It’s shorter and faster… but still competitive:
- First to four games wins a set.
- Tie-break at three games all to seven points, two clear at 6-6.
- Match tie-break at one set all to 10 points, two clear at 9-9.
- No advantage scoring.
LTA Youth Matchplay’s acceptance criteria:
- Players will be accepted on a ‘ﬁrst come, ﬁrst served’ basis. You can enter at any time, right up until the draw is full. Any players not accepted will be placed on the reserve list.
- If a player withdraws from an event, the player at the top of the reserve list will be selected to replace them.