What is LTA Youth Matchplay?
Matchplay is often a child’s first experience of individual competitive tennis. In two- or three-hour sessions they compete in both singles and doubles matches against players of a similar ability.
- Quick competitions for kids aged 10 and under, split into different age groups.
- Games last two hours for 8U and 9U and three hours for 10U and yellow ball age groups.
- The 10U and yellow ball age groups will be using one FAST4 set (see below) whilst 8U and 9U will use one match tie-break to 10 points.
What happens in LTA Youth Matchplay?
- The organiser will give a friendly welcome, take the kids through an energetic warm up and explain the rules.
- There’ll be lots of quick matches against players of a similar ability.
- Players will always compete in singles and doubles matches – this develops both their tennis and social skills.
FAST4 speeds up the conventional game of tennis. It’s shorter and faster… but still competitive:
- First to four games wins a set.
- Tie-break at three games all to seven points, two clear at 6-6.
- Match tie-break at one set all to 10 points, two clear at 9-9.
- No advantage scoring.
LTA Youth Matchplay’s acceptance criteria:
- Players will be accepted on a ‘ﬁrst come, ﬁrst served’ basis. You can enter at any time, right up until the draw is full. Any players not accepted will be placed on the reserve list.
- If a player withdraws from an event, the player at the top of the reserve list will be selected to replace them.
If you'd like to run an LTA Youth Matchplay competition, you can find more information and resources on our bespoke organiser page below: