Learning and CPD
Open Your Doors is a two-hour online module focusing on how to make your venue more disability inclusive for disabled people.
Whether you work in tennis at a club, park, education or community setting, it will provide you with a better understanding and knowledge of:
- What ‘inclusion’ and ‘accessibility’ means.
- Barriers to participation for disabled people playing tennis.
- Positive change to overcome barriers to participation.
- EDI support from the LTA.
We run disability tennis CPD sessions throughout the year. Take a look at what CPD is on offer on our Coach Development Centre CPD section:
As our vision is to be a leading nation for wheelchair player development and the wheelchair sport of choice across Great Britain this course has been designed and executed for new and existing wheelchair tennis coaches who have expressed an interest or are currently working in wheelchair tennis.
We wanted to create a course that is exciting, transparent and showcases the opportunities from grassroots/ development to elite performance, with this course being recognised as a world leader in the space of wheelchair tennis. Furthermore, to cement the foundations of effective coaching and engagement principles with key considerations. Topical areas include:
- Key statistics of physical impairments
- History, the game, and pathway
- Fundamental coaching principles and chair setup considerations
- How to develop inclusive programmes and players
The course is open to any qualified LTA coach.
Aimed at coaches wanting to equip themselves with the tools and confidence to welcome deaf or hard of hearing players onto their tennis court.
By the end of this course, coaches will:
- Understand different levels of deafness and deaf tennis eligibility criteria
- Understand the history of Deaf tennis and how to get more players involved
- Gain an increase in confidence in communicating with deaf players effectively
This online course equips coaches with knowledge about the different types of learning disabilities and how to create an environment where those with a learning disability can feel included and supported when taking part in tennis activities.
By the end of this module you will:
- Understand different types of learning disability and difficulties
- Effectively communicate with players who have a learning disability
- Understand the learning disability player pathway and how to get more players involved
The LTA is passionate about bringing tennis to as wide an audience as possible. Our vision is 'Tennis Opened Up' and to grow tennis by making it more relevant, accessible, welcoming and enjoyable.
This module is designed to help us understand what diversity and inclusion mean in a tennis context, explain the current landscape, identify areas where we need to be more diverse and inclusive to truly reflect our society and give us the knowledge and confidence that will help us all create a welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone.