Good club governance is the foundation for all successful and well-run tennis clubs. Strong governance ensures your tennis club is professionally managed, safe and compliant with its legal obligations. A well-run club will attract and engage members and players and will be financially sustainable.
We’ve developed an excellent Self-Service Guide to Club Governance to help tennis clubs put into place effective governance structures. This extensive resource covers a number of important topics, including:
- Adopting the right legal structure for your club
- Getting the right mix of people on the club management committee
- Developing a club strategic plan
- Understanding finance and tax
- Managing risk effectively
We’ve also produced additional guidance on other common governance topics that can affect tennis clubs.
Club strategic planning
Developing a strategy with clear action plans set by the management committee has significant benefits:
- Maps the future and supports growth
- Provides transparency for members, staff and potential funders
- Aligns staff and volunteers to a clear course of action
- Supports and encourages collaboration
- Enables the management team to effectively monitor progress
- Develops succession planning
Without a strategy, the club can struggle to innovate and adapt, or even start to decline.
Our Self-Service Guide to Club Governance resource provides some useful support and guidance in helping clubs undertake effective strategic planning.
To help you in developing your plan we have recently ran a webinar on ‘developing an effective strategic plan’. Speak to your local LTA Participation Development Partner who can share the content of this webinar and support you with developing your plan. We have also created some resources to support the process. You can find these in the ‘Club Management’ section of the Resource Library.
LTA legal & tax helpline
We understand that many aspects of club governance are complicated and can require specialist advice. As a result, we provide LTA Registered Venues with access to our specialist legal and tax helpline, operated by a leading commercial law firm. They can provide valuable guidance and advice on a wide range of business-related topics for clubs and coaches, including the following:
- Governance and Incorporation
- Tax Treatment and Advice
- Employment Law
- Property Law
- Disciplinary and Safeguarding Regulations
- Data Protection & GDPR
To access support from our Legal & Tax helpline partners, Brabners, you simply need to call 03330 433 232 and quote your LTA Registration or Coach Accreditation number