National Academies overview
What's the purpose of this programme?
- To create a pro-style training environment that provides the volume, intensity and frequency needed for aspiring professional players
- To nurture the person and the player to develop a game style with the head, heart, legs and weapons required for success
- To increase the likelihood of players making the standard for Pro Scholarship Programme selection
Who is it for?
National Academies are for players aged 13 to 18 (although some players may join from age 11 in exceptional circumstances).
Selection for National Academies is exclusive.
What will this programme be like?
- National Academies provide high quality, high intensity daily training environments with world class science and medicine support
They are led by a team of world class coaches together with specialist sport scientists, medics, personal development and welfare practitioners
- Players develop the weapons, decision making skills, athleticism and resilience that underpins a world class game style, and are required to successfully develop into emerging tour professionals
- National Academies deliver a comprehensive tournament schedule that’s right for the age and stage of the player
- National Academies operate full-time, year round, in partnership with a local school
How do players get involved?
There are two National Academies; Loughborough University National Tennis Academy and GB National Tennis Academy at the University of Stirling.
GB National Tennis Academy at University of Stirling:
Loughborough University National Tennis Academy
Download the National Academy player selection policy for information on the selection process and criteria.
Players who meet the minimum performance criteria for consideration in the National Academy selection policy (clause 3.3), may arrange/or may be contacted to visit one or both of the National Academies ahead of 1 April 2022. Please note, this is not an indicator of whether a player will be shortlisted or selected onto the 2022 National Academy programme. If you have met the Performance Criteria for consideration (clause 3.3) and would like to contact the academies to enquire about a visit, please use the following contact details:
GB National Tennis Academy at the University of Stirling (GBNTA) – Jason Atkins Jason.Atkins@tennisscotland.org
Loughborough University National Tennis Academy (LUNTA) - Andjelka Grubisic A.Grubisic@lboro.ac.uk.