18 Outstanding Individuals and Venues Named LTA Tennis Award Winners
• 3 MINUTE READ
18 outstanding individuals and venues have been named LTA Tennis Award national winners at the tennis governing body’s annual ceremony.
Streamed live on LTA channels on Thursday 30th July and presented by LTA Head of Men’s Tennis Leon Smith OBE, the national ceremony - which was ‘virtual’ for the first time in the awards’ history - saw the likes of current British No.1s Dan Evans and Johanna Konta pick up the LTA’s Men’s and Women’s ‘Player of the Year’ awards respectively, alongside sixteen other deserving national winners.
Currently in their fifth year, the LTA Tennis Awards celebrate the achievements made by outstanding tennis volunteers, coaches, officials, venues and players in Britain. This year saw over 2,000 nominations across all of the grassroots categories including ‘Young Person of the Year’ and ‘Club of the Year’.
Nominations were drawn from over 25,000 volunteers, 4,400 coaches, 940 officials, 20,000 schools, 2,700 clubs and over 9,700 LTA approved tournaments, demonstrating the extraordinary contributions of individuals and venues who help to open up the sport and bring new fans and players to the game.
National winners were crowned on Thursday evening after a ten-month long process, which saw this year’s national finalists emerge from over 380 county winners.
The winners of this year’s awards were announced by a host of special guest award presenters, including Judy Murray OBE, Minister for Sport, Tourism and Heritage Nigel Huddleston, Gordon Reid MBE, BBC Tennis Correspondent Russell Fuller and Incoming Chief Executive of the All England Lawn Tennis Club Sally Bolton OBE.
Speaking about this year’s award winners, LTA President David Rawlinson commented:
“The LTA Tennis Awards are a real celebration of the people that make our sport thrive. They celebrate the achievements made by outstanding volunteers, coaches, officials, venues and players, who are all vital in helping us to grow the game. To be named a national winner out of over 2,000 public nominations is a fantastic achievement so I’d like to congratulate all of this year’s winners and extend my thanks to each and every one of them for all that they do to help tennis in Britain.”
LTA Tennis Awards 2020 National Winners
- Women's Player of the Year- Johanna Konta (Eastbourne)
- Men's Player of the Year- Dan Evans (Birmingham)
- Girl's Player of the Year - Emma Raducanu (Kent)
- Boy's Player of the Year - Ben Gusic-Wan (Kent)
- Women's Senior Player of the Year - Teresa Catlin (Cambridge)
- Men's Senior Player of the Year - Lennie Lawrence (Watford)
- Development Coach of the Year - Alice Robson (Yorkshire)
- Performance Coach of the Year - David Felgate (Twickenham)
- Competition of the Year - Hunstanton Lawn Tennis Tournament (Norfolk)
- Official of the Year - Jenny Sayer (Hampshire)
Venue & Programme Awards
- Club of the Year - Hoole LTC (Chester)
- Disability Award- LUSU Sports (Stockport)
- Communities and Parks Award- Cheslyn Hay Tennis (Walsall)
- School of the Year - Bishop Vesey's Grammar School (Sutton Coldfield)
- University of the Year - University of Bath (Bath)
Volunteer & Individual Contribution Awards
- Young Person of the Year – Jonah Jones (Caerphilly, Wales)
- Cathie Sabin Award - Volunteer of the Year - Don Saul (Yorkshire)
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Bash Kara (Hampshire)
Want to watch this year's national ceremony?
Watch this year's LTA Tennis Awards national ceremony via www.lta.org.uk/awards or the LTA’s Youtube channel.