Girls’ tennis in Wales to benefit as 13 coaches accepted on Prime Video programme
• 2 MINUTE READ
13 Coaches in Wales have been accepted onto to the ‘Prime Video LTA Youth Girls’ programme.
The coaches are:
- Ellie Lewis – Penarth Windsor, Larkwood Avenue & Radyr TC
- Kari Davies – Magor Undy Tennis Courts
- Rebecca Chilcott – Penarth Windsor
- Jane Jones – Chepstow Tennis Club
- Hayley Story – Whitchurch TC, Merthyr Tydfil TC
- Jenny Broughall – Wrexham Tennis Centre
- Mark Thomas – Bridgend Lawn Tennis
- Ellinore Lightbody – Swansea Tennis Centre
- Osian Williams – Clwb Tenis lau Arfon
- Rob Cunningham – Penarth Tennis Club, Llantwit Major Tennis, Romilly Park, Super-Ely Tennis Club
- Michael Herd – Pen-y-ffordd Tennis Club, Helsby Tennis Club
- Thomas Richards – Haverfordwest Tennis Club
- Nigel Hunter – Newtown TC - Powys area. We do tennis
The programme is designed to inspire girls to play tennis in a fun and friendly coaching environment. It is 100% funded by the reinvestment of Prime Video’s US Open broadcast fees from the historic 2021 final and is supported by Emma Raducanu.
It will focus on creating an environment that motivates girls to play and stay in tennis. LTA research identified that girls want to play with friends in a fun and pressure-free setting, with relatable coaches who can build confidence and drive enjoyment.
The coaches will be trained to deliver lessons and guidance specifically designed for young girls.
Steve Yeardley, Tennis Wales Coaching and Volunteer Manager said: “We are excited by this programme. It will be transformative and has the potential for 500 more girls in Wales to pick up a racket and play tennis.
“This in turn could lead to more female coaches in the future.”