Tennis Scotland Award Winners 2019
• 2 MINUTE READ
The winners of the Tennis Scotland Awards 2019, which recognises the incredible achievements, work and dedication of individuals, clubs, teams, tournaments and programmes across the country have been announced.
Yvonne Birnie (Rothiemurchus and Aviemore Tennis Club) scooped one of the most prestigious awards, the Lifetime Achievement Award, which rewards volunteers who have displayed outstanding commitment and a lifetime of dedication to the sport. The award is reserved for exceptional role models, and Yvonne has demonstrated that she is indeed encouraging participation in the sport.
Derek Brown (Strathgryffe) has been recognised as the Coach of the Year, a reward for his outstanding contribution to coaching in 2019.
Matthew Rankin, who is one of eight young players in the GB National Tennis Academy in Stirling, won the Junior Player of the Year, while Marjory Love was the winner of Senior Player of the Year. Maia Lumsden has been announced as the International Player of the Year following an excellent year on the international tennis circuit.
All 13 winners will be recognised at an awards ceremony to be held at a later date.
Blane Dodds, Tennis Scotland chief executive, said: “Each year, the Tennis Scotland Awards give us the chance to recognise the incredible achievements of individuals, clubs, teams, tournaments and programmes across the country.
“We were truly overwhelmed by the quality of nominations we received so each and every winner should be very proud of their achievement, as should everyone who was shortlisted for an award.
“They are the driving force behind our sport and it’s important that we take the time to acknowledge their contributions to tennis in Scotland.”
The winners will now go forward to be considered for the LTA Tennis Awards national shortlist in each of their respective categories.
Launched in 2015, the LTA Tennis Awards celebrate the thousands of individuals involved in tennis – from the 25,000 volunteers, to the 4,400 coaches and 940 officials.
They also highlight the incredible achievements of 20,000 schools, 2,700 clubs and over 9,700 LTA approved tournaments in helping to grow the sport.
Tennis Scotland Awards 2019 winners
- Lifetime Achievement – Yvonne Birnie (Rothiemurchus and Aviemore TC)
- Volunteer of the Year – Bryan Leslie (Gullane TC)
- Coach of the Year – Derek Brown (Strathgryffe)
- Club of the Year – Prestwick Tennis and Fitness
- Communities and Parks Award – Meadows Tennis Park
- Education Award – Fraser Gilmour (Glasgow City Council)
- Disability Award – Prestwick Tennis and Fitness Disability Programme
- Official of the Year – Richard Gardner (St Andrews)
- Competition of the Year – Mactaggart & Mickel East Lothian Open (North Berwick)
- Team of the Year – 12U Boys North County Cup Team
- Junior Player of the Year – Matthew Rankin
- Senior Player of the Year – Marjory Love
- International Player of the Year – Maia Lumsden
Join the team: National Safeguarding Officer
It’s a wonderful opportunity for someone who’s passionate about ensuring our sport is played in a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment. As a crucial member of the team, you...
Duncan wins maiden Challenger, Lumsden reaches Master’U final, Rylatt runner-up in ITF Glasgow
Scott Duncan became an ATP Challenger champion in Maspalomas with doubles partner Marcus Willis. The pair entered the tournament as the fourth seeds, battling from a set down ...