Coaches and other venue staff/volunteers are not responsible for transporting children to and from the venue, unless as part of a venue organised trip. It is reasonable for venues and coaches to place responsibility on parents for ensuring appropriate transport arrangements are made for their children. Parents may choose to make private arrangements with another adult (such as a family friend) to transport their child, however, should let the venue know.
In situations where a venue is arranging transport for children (for example, to an away match) the venue must ensure the following:
- Parents are informed of the destination, reason for the journey and who the driver will be.
- Parents complete a consent form and provide emergency contact details to the venue. The driver should have a copy of this with them on the journey in case of emergencies.
- There are two adults in the car.
- Children are seated in the back of the vehicle at all times.
- If the children are a mixture of female and male, where possible the two adults should also be male and female.
- There is an established procedure in the event of a breakdown/emergency.
- The driver has a valid UK driving licence, satisfactory DBS check, correct insurance, MOT certificate and complies with laws on the use of seatbelts and restraints.
- If transporting children in a mini-bus or bus, the driver must also have the correct type of licence (more info here).