Please be aware that applications are currently closed for this programme and no enrolments will be accepted for the 2016/2017 academic year. This programme will also not be continuing after this year.
Currently, we don’t have any plans to replace the degree with another academic programme.
The BSc Hons Professional Practice Award in Tennis Coaching Management enables coaches from the tennis coaching profession to undertake a flexible programme in higher education, working at a level appropriate to their educational attainment and gain credit for skills and expertise acquired in the workplace.
The main aim of the programme is to provide a basis for career development through the coaching profession within the sport of Tennis. There is a primary emphasis on developing a critical understanding of sport management, business and administration through the examination of underpinning theories, models, concepts and research skills pertinent to the overall managing of the coaching management process.
On successful completion of the BSc Hons Professional Practice Award in Tennis Coaching Management coaches should be able to:
- Understand the conceptual framework which underpins sport management.
- Understand the developing sport business and administration structures.
- Provide a focus on the application of theory to real world coaching management practice through the work based learning approach.
- Have a range of professional skills of significance in the sport coaching profession.
- Have a range of management competencies related to the requirements of the UK Coaching Certificate (UKCC) and Coaching Framework for sport coaches.
- Have skills in designing, conducting, analysing and reporting research through project based work.
- Have the foundation for career development and progression in the sport coaching domain.
About the qualification
The LTA and Northumbria University have worked in partnership to develop an opportunity for tennis coaches to work towards a degree in Tennis Coaching Management.
Tennis Coaching Management is made up of the following elements:
4 one day Northumbria University modules, together with 2 half-day support sessions held at the National Tennis Centre, Roehampton.
The modules cover following areas in relation to Tennis Coaching Management:
- Human Resources – conflict management and performance appraisal
- Marketing – introduction to marketing
- Strategic Planning
Course Structure – am I eligible to apply and how does the course work for me?
• If you are a minimum of an LTA Level 3 Accredited+ coach you are eligible to apply.
• The application forms are processed by Northumbria University who will assess your previous experience and determine which entry level to the programme you will start at.
• The learning programme is based mainly on a distance learning model and you will only need to attend 4 days of modules together with 2 half-day support sessions delivered by Northumbria University at the National Tennis Centre.
• On the 4 days of delivery the whole programme will be explained to you, including the assignments you will need to complete and the deadlines for completion. You will also be given log-in details for the learning portal at Northumbria University, access to their library (they post the books out to you), a message board and a set tutor chat time.
The level you enter the programme:
The level you start at will be emailed to you with confirmation of your place on the programme.
Level 5.5 – this equates to the second half of the second year of a full time degree programme. Successful completion at this level will lead to a University Diploma in Tennis Coaching Management.
Level 6 – this equates to the first half of the last year of a full time degree programme. Successful completion at this level will lead to a University Diploma in Tennis Coaching Management.
Cost of the course
£1600 per year. Payment for the course will only be taken when your place has been confirmed.